Wednesday 24 November 2010

Everybody goes through that pretentious photography phase at least once...

...for me, that phase is now.

When it comes to 'art', I've always preferred photograph over painting. Though I will happily admire the work of fine water or pastel painter, I have always found it difficult finding that particular something that connects between myself and the painting. This, of course, could be due to lack of imagination on my part.

However, I never seem to struggle to discover the innate beauty or sense of wonderment captured in a good photograph. A photographer I have admired for many a year is David LaChapelle:

LaChapelle snaps mainly celebrities (like Ewan Mcgregor pictured here). He is vibrant, colourful and is at a standard that cannot be held up to any other photographer I've seen the work of. He also directed Christina Aguilera's infamously raunchy video 'dirty'. LaChappelle's work is like a frantically camp, but passionate affair with which ever A-Lister is in the frame.
He is the master of the wacky and his portfolio should be attempted by no one.

Though I am a big fan, LaChappelle was still not the somebody who actually inspired me to crack out the old Olympus - which had been gathering dust in the shed for far too long. It was Robert Doisneau's photos which sparked an interest. Though Doisneau is one of France's most noted photographers, it was only very recently that his work found me. His photographs date back to the 1930s and continued throughout most of the 20th century. He managed to capture, what can only be described as the simple and subtle beauties of everyday life. Sticking mainly to the streets of Paris, he transformed the ordinary into profound art:








And here are some I took over summer (It's a work in progress):




'The Marvels of daily life are exciting; no movie director can arrange the unexpected that you find in the street' - Robert Doisneau

No comments:

Post a Comment